The Road to Fredericton

Posted by Donna on 10:33 PM with No comments

It was our last morning on Prince Edward Island and breakfast at Hillhurst Inn did not disappoint. In fact, Jason thought it was the best of the three. The yogurt parfait made a return, and clearly the mini muffins are a staple, but the feature today was delicious French toast (hhhmmm,,, maybe Canadian Toast?) topped with gently warmed, thinly sliced apples.

The breakfast was sunny, but the skies over PEI were dismal and bleak. Thick clouds blanketed the sky like a layer of cotton batting and haze painted the horizon a murky shade of gray. When we crossed the Confederation Bridge into New Brunswick, there was a discernable difference between the highway and the horizon as ribbons of blue began to weave themselves through the clouds. The skies cleared for good over Murray. Coincidence? I don’t think so. (Thanks, Bunny.) The sun played a bit of peek-a-boo along the way, but it was still nice to have it, even if it was in a supporting rather than starring role.

This leg of the ride was one of the best of the trip, with great roads and warm breezes. Route 105 North ran parallel to the Jemseg and St. John Rivers, visible through clearings – field, farm or family home. Riding alongside the rivers, watching the tiny whitecaps rippling with the wind, it’s easy to understand the draw people have to water, serenity when it’s still and the awe its power inspires when it rages.

We arrived in Fredericton, the capital city of New Brunswick, around 3:00, and with plenty of daylight left, we headed off to find food and somewhere to explore.

Fredericton is a great town with an amazing walkable downtown area filled with great shops, a variety of restaurants and lots of history. Its history really begins in 1783 with the arrival of Loyalists who fought on the side of the crown during the American Revolution and received a separate colonial status for the newly named New Brunswick colony for their efforts. Colonel Thomas Carleton was the colony’s first governor and in 1785 renamed the settlement “Fredericktown” in honor of King George III’s son. Because of its positioning on the St. John River, Fredericton was also Carleton's choice for provincial capital.

Because of Fredericton's proximity to the American border and its importance as provincial capital, military personnel were stationed there until the The Royal Canadian Regiment was raised on December 21, 1883. The Guard House, Barracks, and Old Officers' Quarters, which now serves as a Museum, are still standing in the downtown area known as the Garrison Historic District.

We did a bit of walking and a bit of eating at the Lunar Rouge Pub, but after 6 days on the road, it’s laundry night. Yep, laundry. That’s the secret to traveling for two weeks on a Harley.

Click here to see more pictures.