This Onion's the Bomb!

Posted by Donna on 1:46 PM with No comments

I’m at the end of week three of my diet and I’m happy to report I’m down 14.5 pounds. I’ve definitely eaten more vegetables in the last three weeks than I probably have in the last 3 months, I don’t miss the carbs, and Jason and I are eating healthier overall. I will admit, I did long for a glass of wine while out with co-workers last week, but opted for water with lemon instead.

So, in the category of eating healthier, I’ve found better ways to use spices (I’ll post a homemade chili spice recipe shortly), have tried about 6 different non-dairy coleslaw recipes and am constantly on the lookout for new opportunities for chicken and turkey.

And then this bomb dropped. Well, figuratively anyway.

I found the recipe for Grilled Onion Bombs on Sweet Pennies From Heaven, It seemed simple enough, and since the grill is the cooking device of choice these days, I figured what the heck. If all else failed, there was an emergency turkey burger backup in the fridge. The original recipe called for catsup, bread and more than a cup of cheese, so I made some modifications to work with my diet.

 

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (the original called for beef)
  • 1/2 clove of garlic finely chopped (or 1 tsp of minced garlic)
  • 2 tblsp. Worcestershire sauce (This was my substitute for catsup)
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2tsp. parsley
  • 1 bag IP garlic & herb chips crushed (Replacing the saltines and bread)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

I thought about throwing some Frank’s Red Hot sauce in there because like the commercial says, I do put that s*** on everything, but since Jason doesn’t share my enthusiasm for all things spicy, I decided I’d add it to mine after it came off the grill.

The process is easy and makes 6 nice sized bombs:
1. Mix the meat and all the other ingredients together until well combined
2. Create large meatballs with the mixture
3. Cut onion in half and then in half again
4. Cover each meatball tightly with onion quarters
5. Wrap each onion bomb individually in aluminum foil, leaving a little stem at the top (for gripping)
6. Grill 8 minutes, flip and grill another 8 minutes longer.

Keep a close eye on them to make sure they're not overcooking. Once the meat is cooked through, they're ready to serve.

These little puppies came off the grill piping hot and juicy, the onion soft and fragrant and mmm, mmm good. As planned, I added some hot sauce to mine for extra kick and served them with a great green salad chock full of veggies.

This bomb definitely was not a dud!