New Year. New Recipes.

Posted by Donna on 2:50 PM with No comments
My husband gave me the best gift this Christmas - retirement.

Admittedly, I’m a bit young for a rocking chair on the front porch and my hair is certainly anything but gray, but the notion that I am now in charge of my daily routine, whether that’s crafting, sewing, writing or volunteer work, is tremendously exciting.

My first week of "retirement" was a bit overwhelming and quietly chaotic. Without a regular routine, I was akin to a pinball - bouncing here, there and everywhere. I was still up with the sun, but 6:30 is a lot better than 5:00 am, and at the gym by 7:00 am each morning. The first floor hardwood was washed, waxed and polished. Within a few hours, to my hubby's surprise, I zipped up new window valances for the master bath and laundry rooms. Since that wasn’t enough sewing, I registered for a historic fashion workshop with Burnley and Trowbridge and decided to start on a new pair of stays (Since I lost 50 lbs., the first pair I made can’t be laced tight enough any longer.).

I even made a chocolate cake!


One of the benefits of my new-found entrepreneurialship is the luxury of time, including time to try new recipes in support of our healthy and healthy eating lifestyle. My Pinterest board is full of interesting and potential candidates, and the winners are ceremoniously moved to a Recipes I’ve Actually Made board. The latest is a healthy treat modified from a Chia Oatmeal breakfast cookie recipe I found on EatingBirdFood.com. These fun little snacks are easy to make and surprisingly delicious.

Here goes.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 ripe mashed bananas
1 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 c. dried cranberries
1/3 c. carob chips
1 tbsp. sun butter (or almond butter)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions: (Makes about 16 cookies)

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the almond milk and chia seed. 
  3. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until the chia seed have a nice gel-like consistency. 
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the oats, coconut, cranberries and carob chips together. 
  5. Stir the mashed bananas, sun butter and vanilla into the chia seed mixture. 
  6. Scoop the mixture (1-2 tablespoons worth) onto a greased cookie sheet. Press it down to form a more rounded shape. 
  7. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies have browned a bit. 
  8. Cool and enjoy!