The Blizzard of 2015

Posted by Donna on 7:31 PM with No comments
January 27, 2015 |

An epic blizzard is pummeling Massachusetts.

Snow isn’t my cup of tea… or coffee for that matter, even when enhanced with a shot or two of Amaretto. We’re into hour 24 of the Blizzard of 2015, and the flakes just keep on flying.

And flying.

And flying.

At last measure, 28 inches of white powder had fallen and we’ve (well, mostly Jason) made three passes up and down our 200 feet of driveway trying to keep ahead of this frosty assault. Unfortunately, Mother Nature keeps winning.

Luckily for us, (hhhmmmm…) the temperatures are on the chilly side, so it’s a light fluffy snow and not the wet, pasty stuff we got a few days ago. But chilly means layers - lots of them - body-hugging Under Armor, jeans, two shirts, three pairs of heavy socks, gloves AND mittens, and my fingers were still frozen.

If I put my Pollyanna hat on, and trust me, it’s not nearly as warm as my crocheted beanie, I can always find some good news, even though it’s buried deep in this arctic edition:

  1. We didn’t have to go to work (even though there was LOTS of work to do)
  2. .
  3. Our fridge, freezer and cabinets are stocked, and lucky me, I snagged the last two boxes of chicken broth as we maneuvered our way through the masses at the local Stop & Shop on Sunday afternoon.
  4. We didn’t have to dig a plowed-in car out of a parking spot on a Boston side street.
  5. We didn't lose power.
  6. I had the chance to make some really yummy, homemade vanilla and coconut granola to keep us fortified during round after round of snow blowing and shoveling.

This record-breaking blizzard has shattered the serenity of a relatively quiet winter, which, up to this point, had only been lightly (and infrequently) dusted with snow. Be careful what you ask for, I caution the folks who have questioned where the traditional New England winter has been, because this is what we get!

Time to grab another handful or two of that granola, don my extra socks and mittens, and head back out for what I hope is the last snow blow/shovel escapade until morning.

Did I mention that we have 28 inches of snow? And that it's still coming down?

Oh, and if 28 inches wasn’t enough, the local weather gurus are watching another storm brewing for Friday, and hinting that it could bring us another measure of this madness.

I'd raise the white flag, but with all this snow, I'm not sure anyone would see it!

Categories: